commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release FileUpload 1.1.1-RC1
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:21:42 GMT
On 6/2/06, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 5/28/06, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
> > > In version 1.9 of the changelog-plugin a new option was added that
> might
> > > solve this problem. Add these lines to the project.properties file:
> > >
> > > maven.changelog.date=lastRelease
> > > maven.changelog.type=date
> > >
> > > The plugin looks in the changes.xml file to find the previous release.
> > > Fileupload has such a file so that's good. I tried this on fileupload
> > > and the plugin choked because of an unparseable date "2006-05-??",
> which
> > > is the date set for the 1.1.1 release. So I changed that date to "In
> > > SVN" and ran maven site again and the plugin correctly picked up
> > > "2005-12-24" from the 1.1 release.
> >
> > This does work, though it means the changes report has In SVN in and
> > not the date. Still, I can generate this to get that page and put it
> > in later on the main build.
> >
> > Any objections to that?
>
> Yes its messy and liable to go wrong when you forget to do something
> when cutting the actual release.

Given that you're never going to know the actual release date until you're
actually cutting the release, the date in the change log will _always_ have
to be updated by the RM at that time. It wouldn't be any worse to have "In
SVN" than "2006-05-??" (especially given that it's now June ;). I used to
use "Pending" for the date value until I cut the release.

And it seems to me that using "lastRelease" is always correct, so that seems
like the right value to use. I just didn't know about it until Dennis
mentioned it.

You know that you can override
> settings if you have a local "build.properties" file? Better to just
> override this locally with the actual date:
>
> maven.changelog.date=2005-12-24
>
> That way you can put the proper release date back into the changes file.

But you'll never know what that date is until you're actually cutting the
release, so what are you going to put there before you're in the process of
rolling it?

--
Martin Cooper

Niall