commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] commons karma for Jochen Wiedmann
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 15:00:15 GMT
I was torn whether my reply should go in this thread, and it probably
shouldn't since I have no comments towards the outcome of this vote.
I'll be as brief as possible.

<snip/>
> More that we'd be very open to anyone who has already earnt the trust
> of the apache community. If a project wanted to pull a subcomponent
> out of their code and make it more generically available, it'd be nice
> if they felt they could bring it to commons without feeling like they
> were handing it over to the commons community and hoping that we'd
> continue to make releases etc. Rather they'd view themselves as a part
> of the commons community.

<snap/>

On 5/24/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 15:58 -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
<snip/>
> > Are we really saying that we'll allow
> > other projects to decide on who merits commit access to Jakarta? That's what
> > Hen appears to be saying, and I object strongly.
>
> personally speaking, i would be very happy for a low bar
> for existing apache committers. jakarta karma can be obtained on request
> in any case (in order to work on sandbox components).
>
> but i don't see that being the same thing at all as allowing
> unrestricted access to work on existing components. i hope that social
> pressures would be enough (as they have proved to be in the past).

<snap/>

I'm sympathetic to the fact that the bar for existing ASF committers
should be lower. I also think that Martin is correct in pointing out
that the pendulum shouldn't swing too far across (its part of social
pressure IMO, if it helps to think of it that way -- notable
exceptions being sandbox / incubator style repositories). Specifically
for pulling out a subcomponent from an existing project, I believe we
already have an avenue that works (both code and people come in
through the sandbox).

-Rahul