commons-dev mailing list archives

From dusan.chr...@freenet.de
Subject CollectionUtils vs. IteratorUtils interface
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 14:53:38 GMT
    Hi,

I've been using some algorithm methods from the CollectionUtils, for example

find(Collection, Predicate)
exists(Collection, Predicate)
countMatches(Collection, Predicate)
forAllDo(Collection, Closure)

However, I would also like to be able to use these algorithms with an Iterator:

find(Iterator, Predicate)
exists(Iterator, Predicate)
countMatches(Iterator, Predicate)
forAllDo(Iterator, Closure)

The obvious workaround is to use IteratorUtils.toList(Iterator), however this comes at the
cost of constructing a list object (an ArrayList presumably) which could be avoided, as the
Iterator itself is sufficient for the above algorithms to work.

What do you think? Is there any reason not to provide the algorithms for an Iterator? I personally
think that the algorithms should have been there for Iterators in the first place, because
every collection is Iterable (or has an Iterator, prior to JDK 5.0).

If noone is interested or has time to implement these changes, I can also contribute to the
project - but at the moment I just wanted to discuss the idea / check if this has been already
considered or planned.

Best Regards,

Dusan Chromy

Ihr Traumpartner ist nur einen Klick entfernt. 1 Million Singles warten auf Sie in
Deutschlands beliebteste Partnerboerse:
http://singles.freenet.de/index.html?pid=11512