commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [fileupload] Remove dependency on commons-build
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 18:38:24 GMT
> On 5/25/06, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > As Henri seems to be getting ready for a FileUpload release do we want
> > to remove the dependency on commons-build as other projects have done?
> > I can do this if you want.
>

> What do we gain, and what do we lose, by dissociating ourselves from
> commons-build? I'm fine with independence, just curious as to the reasoning
> behind the change.

Good question - there are pros and cons to this and originally I
argued against it - but as the general consensus seemed to be in
favour I stopped fighting it.

The pros I believe are:

1) No need to checkout commons-build to build a component - IMO this
primarily assists users since they can build from the source distro
(or SVN checkout) and avoid the issues if they haven't realized they
needed commons-build.

2) The project stylesheet is now online
(http://jakarta.apache.org/style/jakarta-maven.css). This is actually
(IMO) a pro and con - the good thing about it is for changes like
adding the ApacheCon logo it can be done once thru' the stylesheet for
all the components and without all the components having to
regenerate/republish their sites before and after.

3) As part of this change the dependency on commons-site.jsl was
removed, which was/is a maintenance headache.

The cons are:

1) The build won't work "offline" since in now uses a online DTD for
the xdoc generation.

2) Viewing the docs in the distro "offline" has two issues - the first
is the docs take a while to render as the browser tries to resolve the
online stylesheet and secondly, once its given up trying to resolve
the stylesheet you get the "default" maven look and feel rather than
our Commons look and feel.

Discussion Threads are here:

[1] http://tinyurl.com/ndp3m
[2] http://tinyurl.com/r5pbz