commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas De Loof <nicolas.del...@capgemini.com>
Subject Re: [csv] j2se1.3 compatibility / header line writer
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 12:45:41 GMT

>> It is supported in jdk1.3.. Just cast the stringbuffer passed in to
>> an object, so like
>> StringBuffer.append((Object) StringBuffer)). Much more efficient than
>> an if...
>>

> Surely a StringBuffer is already an Object?
>
> Or am I missing something here?

StringBuffer has a new method in Java 1.4 to append another Stringbuffer
without invoking it's toSring() method.
Code that uses StringBuffer.append(stb) and compiled by a JDK 1.4 will
not work on Java 1.3.
I miself recommand Using  "StringBuffer.append(stb.toString())" that
looks better than an apparently useless (Object) cast : checkstyle or
IDE may warn for unecessary cast.

Nico.