commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject [all] Restructuring the maven generated component sites
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 18:28:46 GMT
At first I wasn't going to bring this up now, but the conversation on
the thread "[all] Unifying maven reports?" has made it obvious that this
needs to be discussed now as well.

The maven generated sites in commons have a lot of reports,
documentation and other pages that make up the final resulting site.
One of the problems we have is the fact that all pages are not meant for
everyone. Some are for developers and some are for end users. Some are
tied to a specific version of the component while others are not. Some
are updated between releases but others must not be updated.

Once again I would like to refer you to the book "Better Builds with
Maven" [1] and chapter 6.4 "Separating Developer Reports From User
Documentation". This chapter highlights the problems that we are having
and suggests an elegant solution for it. The solution is for Maven 2,
but the concepts might work for us with Maven 1 just as well. Please
read it (6 pages) and comment on it.

For this to work we need to separate the reports we use into different
categories. As some of you responded in the other thread many reports
are totally irrelevant to end users. They are still useful to developers
though. See table 6-1 for an example of how to do this.

[1] http://www.mergere.com/m2book_download.jsp

--
Dennis Lundberg