commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Unifying maven reports?
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 10:15:05 GMT
Sandy McArthur wrote:
> On 5/19/06, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> I would like to start a discussion about trying to unify which Maven
>> reports should be used for each commons component.
>
>> Source health
>> + checkstyle (code formatting)
>> + jdepend (quality metrics)
>> + pmd/cpd (bugs, code duplication, coding standards)
>> + tasklist (to do list)
>> - findbugs (same as pmd?)
>> - simian (same as cpd)
>
> Those reports are interesting to developers while developing code.
> Other than that, who cares? I've never chosen one lib over another
> because of the source code style or any other of those reports.

Yes, these are mainly for developers, although one could argue that
pmd/cpd and findbugs can show some signs of quality.

>> Tests
>> + cobertura (test coverage)
>> + junit (test reports)
>> - clover (same as cobertura)
>> - jcoverage (same as cobertura)
>
> A measure unit test coverage is nice to have. I have an increasing
> level of warm fuzzy feelings knowing you've reached the 80, 90, or 95
> unit test coverage percents. But that doesn't mean much if the tests
> verify wrong behavior or don't actually test what is trying to be
> tested. Personally I'm happy to use clover with my IDE integration.

Right, testing has do be done right. But as a tool to see where more
testing is needed these are good to have.

>> Changes since last release
>> + changelog (SCM activity per commit)
>> + clirr (binary compatibility)
>> + developer-activity (SCM activity per developer)
>> + file-activity (SCM activity per file)
>> o changes
>> - jdiff (same as clirr)
>
> A running change log and the ability to compare API changes is useful.
> Other stuff such as developer activity or file activity is less
> interesting, especially if you monitor the commits on -dev.

I all depends on how closely you follow the dev-list. For myself I only
follow the commits closely for a select group of components. I think
that these reports is useful during release-checking when you want to
get an overview of what has happens in a component, since the last release.

--
Dennis Lundberg