commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 18:44:18 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 5/13/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 08:51 +0200, Nicolas De Loof wrote:
>> > I agree about NOT making non-final jars available on ibiblio
>> (httpclient
>> > beeing an exception)
>> > So could the next RC be uploaded to
>> > http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/ ?
>> >
>> > Please also consider using the new groupId recommandation for apache
>> > commons-X : org.apache.commons.X
>>
>> should we make this change for the whole of the commons?
>
> Opening this up again.
>
> groupId: org.apache.commons
> or
> groupId: org.apache.commons.X
>
> ??

As one of the goals in the commons charter (12) is to have one jar (=one
artifact) per subproject, I believe that org.apache.commons will work
nicely.

> The M2 repository has a better hierarchical structure, so I'm not sure
> we have to worry about jamming X in place.
>
> Here's the m2 repo for my commons-alike testing project:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/genjava/
>
> I'm thinking a group id of org.apache.commons for each component would
> work well.
>
> We've got both logging and collections in need of deployment. Also
> need to start putting the javadoc and sources in there too if
> possible.

What would be the best way to do this? Should we try to cram this into
the Apache Maven 1 repo or should we start to provide Maven 2 POMs for
all commons components instead? The Maven 2 repo has better support for
these kinds of extras.

--
Dennis Lundberg