commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]
Date Sat, 13 May 2006 15:51:57 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 08:51 +0200, Nicolas De Loof wrote:
>> I agree about NOT making non-final jars available on ibiblio (httpclient
>> beeing an exception)
>> So could the next RC be uploaded to
>> http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/ ?
>>
>> Please also consider using the new groupId recommandation for apache
>> commons-X : org.apache.commons.X
>
> should we make this change for the whole of the commons?

I think we should do it, but I remember that Henri had some reservations
when this was discussed last time. It had something to do with the local
Apache repo and where Jakarta artifact should be in that repo. Perhaps
he can fill us in on that situation.

If it is decided that this should be done I volunteer to help out with
the move.

> how much hassle would this change be for downstream consumers?

Not much. When a downstream consumer wants to upgrade a Jakarta Commons
dependency they will have to change groupId as well as version, instead
of just the version.

This move has already been made for several other (Apache) jars and is
the "right way" to go. Have a look at
   http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/
to see the current status.

--