commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Final checks please for RC11
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 21:02:58 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> please check the trunk preferably by building and checking the
> distribution. i plan to cut the release candidate sometime around 2200
> hrs UTC. i will call a vote as soon as the candidate is posted.

I did a clean checkout and everything builds like it should.

Doing this required me (the builder) to create a copy of
build.properties.sample. This file has as its default location for jars
lib/... Faced with the task of setting things up for the first time I
had an idea. The building instructions says to first run 'maven site'
and then 'ant dist'. How about using the users local Maven repository as
default values for the jars?

log4j12.jar=lib/log4j-1.2.12.jar
   would become
log4j12.jar=${user.home}/.maven/repository/log4j/jars/log4j-1.2.12.jar

If the user has Maven installed and he or she runs 'maven site' before
running Ant, then all the jars would get downloaded automatically. The
builder simply has to copy build.properties.sample to build.properties
and be done with it.

If the user doesn't have Maven or doesn't run 'maven site' before
running Ant he or she will have to download every jar manually anyway
and change the values in build.properties accordingly.

Just a thought...

--
Dennis Lundberg