commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release FileUpload 1.1.1-RC1
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 10:10:32 GMT
On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 00:03 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> [I haven't created an SVN tag for the RC1. Is there any particular
> reason the release info says to create a tag?]

Well, in a busier project there is the danger that others may make
commits to the trunk while the RC is still being voted on. If it passes,
it's somewhat tricky to then make the tag.

Actually, some of the maven and site-build cleanups going around at the
moment are good examples of how a project's trunk might get patched even
when a project has a small developer pool that have agreed to hold back
their patches until the release happens.

Making a tag in subversion has exactly the same price as checking in one
new file, ie is trivial. I think the existing release advice is
therefore good; creating a tag for an RC should be the regular
practice.

Cheers,

Simon