commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <>
Subject Re: [all] Committer criteria
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 18:53:08 GMT
On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 10:46 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> I've been pondering if our critieria for granting committership is out of date.

i'm not sure that we really have any objective criteria: just a
subjective tradition :)

personally speaking, i will not nominate a new committer unless i am
convinced that i have the time to provide oversight and help for as long
as i think i can be of assistance. this is also a considerable
investment of my energy so i need to be convinced that it will be worth
it. this means i need to be able to form a judgement from a number of
contributions. i prefer to wait until those contributions demonstrate an
understand of the way that apache and jakarta works.

i am very liberal in supporting karma for committers already at apache.

> So, for people like Chris who are actively trying to get involved, are
> we setting a bar that just causes us pain? I don't think there are any
> social or legal issues that say we have to wait on people to submit a
> bunch of patches, and who cares if we end up with yet more inactive
> committers, each active committer will be worth 9 inactive ones.

a few observations

1 infrastructure would definitely care: ATM every committer requires
shell and a quantity of setup. both stress our limited volunteer
infrastructure. hopefully this issue should go away sometime soon.

2 it is very possible some members may have philosophical objections to
committership being given away too freely. some other notable projects
set high bars for committers.

3 would this increase worries about oversight? allowing committers
without a track record would need a lot more active supervision. it may
just displace the issue. if there aren't enough people willing to patch
the codebase, then are there going to be enough to supervise the

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message