commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [logging] diagnostics, RC failure in webapp
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:50:55 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 10:26 AM:

> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 08:17 +0200, Jörg Schaible wrote:
[snip]

>> Well, I have the funny situation the other way round! Due
> to some plugins in Eclipse's DTP subproject, Eclipse can no
> longer launch the internal help, that is based on a Tomcat
> 4.x, because Log is no longer compatible with Log. I can only
> get the help running if I use a complete cl-1.0.4.jar as
> replacement for the -api version ...
>>
>> [snip]
>
> Is this tomcat 4.0.x or 4.1.x?
>
> I believe that tomcat 4.1.x effectively prevents overrides of JCL
> classes, ie that it's not possible to get duplicate Log classes.
>
> So I'm guessing this is tomcat 4.0.x you're dealing with. And
> yes, that
> will have problems with duplicate Log classes. In that case I believe
> the solution is really to deploy a commons-logging-adapters.jar in the
> webapp (ie a jar with ONLY adapter classes, no Log/LogFactoryImpl).
> Unfortunately there is no such jarfile in prior JCL releases; only
> JCL1.1 has such a jar. As you say, the alternative is to put
> a complete
> jarfile in tomcat (and delete the one from the webapp I presume).

The Eclipse bundle claims Tomcat to be 4.1.130 and because of the bundle mechanism I will
had to copy the commons-logging-1.0.4.jar over the contained commons-logging-api.jar.

But remember, this is a pathologic case triggered by some interacting plugins with probably
invalid extension point definitions. I just mensioned it, since Robert claimed, that such
an action should never be done. For me it was the only solution getting Eclipse help working
again.

- Jörg