commons-dev mailing list archives

From <James.R...@ga.gov.au>
Subject RE: [cli] [patch] build bug
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:36:49 GMT
Hi Henri,

(snip)

> What do you think? Is the cli2 package clearly superior to the cli[1]
> package? Should we dump the old one, test the issues reported against
> cli[1] that are now fixed in cli2 and move on; or should we dump the
> cli2 package and stick with the cli one?

This is a tricky question, because people already use the current CLI
API. The CLI2 API is quite different, so people would have to migrate
their code to the new API, and I can imagine that a lot of people would
be loathe to do that.

I think we should investigate the possibility of having CLI as a fa├žade
to the (superior) CLI2 package. This could ease migration problems, as
well as solve the outstanding parsing issues.

My vote is to move towards CLI2, but do it in such a way that we can
avoid disturbing users of CLI as much as possible.

> Hen

Regards,
James