commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jira id naming convention for Jakarta projects; WAS Re: [all] Jira?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:57:58 GMT

> > I also find JHCHTTPCORE absolutely horrible. I chose this id as I
> > thought it would be the most "politically correct" one. I would very
> > much rather prefer HTTPCORE or JHTTPCORE. Do you envisage a particular
> > Jira id naming convention for Jakarta projects? At this point it is
> > still not too late for us to scrap the project and start over with a
> > different (better) project id.
>
> I don't think it's important to have a scheme - it's just a project id
> that is used in such a way that users are aware of it. HCO,  HTCO,
> JHTC. Doesn't matter and I agree with the Atlassian advice on it being
> a 3 or 4 letter code.
>
> So:
>
> LANG
> IO
> COLL
> CODX (though tempting to go with 5 letters when it fits, CODEC etc)
> ATTR
> BEAN
>
> etc.
>
> Dunno if that matches with the infra@ view. Having something with 11
> letters is a pain in the arse given that the only time I ever find
> myself using the id is: a) to discuss something outside of Jira and b)
> to enter into the find box in the top right.

...and commit messages - since jira can link to commits if you put the
issue number in the commit message. My preference would be something
more relevant rather than 3/4 characters (e.g. I prefer BEANUTILS to
BEAN) - also what about filtering for the jira messages sent to the
list - again wouldn't e.g. BEANUTILS be better?

Struts recently moved to jira - apparently this can't be changed once
its set - so it needs to be right from the start.

Niall