commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jira id naming convention for Jakarta projects; WAS Re: [all] Jira?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:24:19 GMT
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:

>>> Jakarta Http Components just created their first Jira, and they got the
>>> name JHCHTTPCORE. Thus this _could_ get caught up in a debate about
>>> Jakarta and groupings.
>>>

>> That's the id-code rather than the name (afaik).
>>
>> I didn't know that that was being standardised - JHCHTTPCORE is
>> terrible, sounds like a sneeze.
>>
>> Ideally we should use whatever we want, it's not a namespace to fight
>> over, just need to be unique.
>>

> Henri,
>
> I also find JHCHTTPCORE absolutely horrible. I chose this id as I
> thought it would be the most "politically correct" one. I would very
> much rather prefer HTTPCORE or JHTTPCORE. Do you envisage a particular
> Jira id naming convention for Jakarta projects? At this point it is
> still not too late for us to scrap the project and start over with a
> different (better) project id.

It would be a good idea to look at what the Maven community has done
with Jira. They have used Jira for some time now. They have their Jira
over at Codehaus and share the Jira instance with other projects:
   http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa

They have a naming scheme that prefixes all Maven 2 plugins with M. This
is followed by the plugins name. They don't use fancy acronyms which are
hard to read or remember. Some examples:
- MANT
- MJAVADOC
- MCHECKSTYLE

I think that having a naming scheme is a good idea. From a user
standpoint I see no reason for keeping the project ids short (3-4
characters). If Jakarta will be sharing the Jira instance with other ASF
projects then using a J prefix for Jakarta project should be used, like
this:
- JLANG
- JDIGESTER
- JCOLLECTIONS
- JHTTPCORE

If we can have our own Jira instance for Jakarta then the prefix can
easily be dropped. I'm not subscribes to infra@ so I don't follow the
discussions there.

As mentioned elsewhere the project id will show up in the issue-emails
that are sent to the dev-list. Having meaningful ids there helps human
filtering as well as automatic mail filters.

<snip>

--
Dennis Lundberg