commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [lang] VariableFormatter issues
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:14:47 GMT
Gary Gregory wrote:
>>1) First enhancement request: #36873. Adds MessageFormat like format
>>patterns. It's an enhancement, seems like a pretty good one to me as
>>it is an enhancement that builds on the JDK and not a new feature. How
>>does this sit on people's slippery slopes?
>
> OTOH, the class VariableFormatter is named as such *because* it is not a
> "Format" subclass and was not intended to be. So providing "Format"
> features via a subclass to VariableFormatter is clean in the sense that
> we are not mixing things up but not really what I had in mind (that's
> the great part about OS). OTOH (the OOH), if we really think this is a
> fantastic feature, we should consider if it should be better integrated
> than with a subclass.

I would like to see any changes here properly integrated if its going to
be added. I haven't studied the change in too much detail, but I don't
see it as an independent piece of functionality.

I would also want to avoid making the inner classes public if possible.
BTW, lots of inner classes make the jar file quite a lot bigger.

Stephen