commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Jira?
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:25:02 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
>> I know Jelly are on Jira already, and Struts have just moved over to
>> Jira. Wondering what the view is nowadays on Commons moving to Jira?
>
> Except for Mario's -1, things seem to be +1 so far which I must admit
> is a bit of a surprise :)
>
> Given this positive feedback so far, I'm going to email the infra@
> mailing list to see how they would go about doing it _if_ we decided
> we wanted to move.
>
> I think we should be moving from 1 project with 37 components to 37
> projects - it'll allow us to manage the components individually of
> each other without the kind of version overlap and general noise
> issues that we currently have.

+1 for that.

> We have 3,000 issues, which isn't a big deal I think, but we'd be
> wanting to add 37 new projects (and scoping to 100 let's say) which
> might be a concern, and the migration would need to be customised to
> map components to projects.

Maven uses a *lot* of projects in Jira - one for each plugin (~50 for
Maven 2) plus a bunch more for the core. That makes things manageable on
the project (=commons component) level.

Sometimes issues are moved between different plugins (=projects), so
that is possible even if we use different projects for commons. Checking
with infra seems like a good idea to get a well thought through strategy
for the migration.

--
Dennis Lundberg