commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] diagnostics, RC failure in webapp
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:49:52 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been able to reproduce the logging problem I reported earlier with
> very little trouble. However I am unable to figure out *why* it's
> failing.
>
> To summarise: Class Log4JLogger is being loaded from a classloader; that
> classloader can see file "Log4JLogger.class" fine as a resource.
> Log4JLogge depends on org.apache.log4j.Category, but that is also
> visible from the classloader. Yet Log4JLogger gets NoClassDefFound when
> loaded. Very puzzling.
>

> As you can see, while investigating this I found the need for some more
> diagnostics so I've added them.

I just tried to build commons-logging trunk with your enhanced diagnostics using JDK 1.4 on
Windows XP. The tests won't build because:

compile.tests:
     [javac] Compiling 30 source files to G:\apache\jakarta-commons-logging\target\tests
     [javac] G:\apache\jakarta-commons-logging\src\test\org\apache\commons\logging\PathableClassLoader.java:244:
getResources(java.lang.String) in org.apache
.commons.logging.PathableClassLoader cannot override getResources(java.lang.String) in java.lang.ClassLoader;
overridden method is final
     [javac]     public Enumeration getResources(String name) throws IOException {
     [javac]                        ^
     [javac] 1 error

</snip>

--