commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [fileupload] FileItem.getName() IE prefix
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:04:55 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:
>>The point is not that this code is onerous, but that it is knowledge
>>about fileuploading that we have not encapsulated in [fileupload].
>
> Because it was specifically not intended to be addressed by FileUpload.

But that doesn't answer why it can't. This is a component to assist with
file uploading. This is a known problem with file uploading. It comes up
reapeatedly in user queries. Surely this points to a missing method.

Is the problem the fact that FileItem is an interface and thus can't be
changed?

>> As a user of [fileupload] I should be presented with the fact that I
>>have to make a choice in the API. At the very least, the javadoc for
>>getName() should provide a full description of the problem.
> You mean like this?
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/apidocs/org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileItem.html#getName()

Yes. I looked in the disk package, where the text isn't present.

Stephen