commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject [fileupload] FileItem.getName() IE prefix
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2006 09:58:35 GMT
 From commons-user:
>>True, but I noted that O'Reilly's version just added this snippet to
>>remove any trailing / or \:
>
> Right. The Commons FileUpload philosophy, though, is to give you exactly
> what the browser sent, no more and no less. It's not up to FileUpload to
> determine what the caller wants - some callers may want or need the extra
> information if it's available.

Thats probably the right philosopy for getName(), but shouldn't we have
a getBaseName() or similarly named method _as_well_ that does the
stripping of the IE rubbish?

At present we are forcing every user of [fileupload] to know this naming
fact and write code to handle it, which surely goes against commons
philosophy.

Stephen