commons-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Grobmeier" <grobme...@possessed.de>
Subject Re: [compress] Interface is ready
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:13:03 GMT

Hi,

> The only information that I was able to find that said anything useful about
> the difference is found in this page.
> http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.2.2_017/install-docs.html
>
> Snippet from this page (you'll find it at the bottom of the page) :
>
> "Background: The original tar format supports a maximum path size of 99
> characters. If you use Solaris tar, you will not see a problem, because
> Solaris tar extends this format beyond 99 characters but in a Solaris-only
> way. GNU tar has a different way of extending the format, so is incompatible
> with the Solaris tar. WinZip and Cygnus GNU tar 1.11.8 do not support the
> Solaris way. We recommended that you use Solaris tar to extract the archive,
> or use the jar tool or WinZip to extract the zip version."
>
>>> Note : WinRAR seems to work properly with Solaris tar archives, though..
>
> I am trying to get docs on the tar implementation in Solaris. I will get
> back once I get more information.
> What's happening is that for files with long path size , they get extracted
> as if they were present in the root directory.

Sounds interesting. I am quite sure this is allready implemented.

> I am very much interested in a version that works on Solaris. I dont know if
> I'll have time to work right now on a Solaris tar implementation, but if
> someone gets around to writing one I'll surely be able to help test it.
> You could also try installing Solaris on x86 for testing, since it is free.

it would be great if you could help me a bit cause i have no solaris
installation at the moment and i am not able to get on ein appropriate
time. If you would like to take a look at the code, start with the old
tartest case. There are two different tars and i am quite sure this is
what you want.

Could you simply try out with this example?

Regards and thx for the information,
Chris