commons-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Grobmeier" <>
Subject Re: [compress] Interface is ready
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2006 08:53:07 GMT

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I haven't been following this thread closely. However I just took a
> quick look at the zip.

Thanks for that.

> The ArchiverType/CompressorType interfaces will be a problem. They
> indicate that they must be changed when a new type is added to
> [compress]. But commons has pretty strict rules about not changing
> interfaces.

I will change this and use constants instead.
Is there a website regarding the mentioned rules?

> Personally, I was also unclear as to the reason why there is a split
> between archiver and compressor, but then I don't know the low level of
> these APIs that well.

Archiving and compressing are two different things; while you can add
more files to a tar-archive, you can't do that to bzip2/gunzip etc.
I didn't want methods in one single interface which work for this format
but not sometimes not for other operations.

I think it's more easy to recognize that you have to use Archiver for
archiving and Compressor for compressing instead to know what the
methods do exactly.

Cheers + Thanks,

> Stephen
> C. Grobmeier wrote:
> Hey all,
> i have just uploaded this:
> Tar, Zip and BZip2 is now implemented by the 2 new interfaces.
> Please check it out, and tell me, if something more i have to do
> before it can be comitted to the compress-code.
> If this looks ok, i will create a bug in bugzilla and add this zip
> as attachment.
> Looking forward to read your comments-
> Cheers
> Chris.