commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jira id naming convention for Jakarta projects; WAS Re: [all] Jira?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:50:32 GMT

> I think that having a naming scheme is a good idea. From a user
> standpoint I see no reason for keeping the project ids short (3-4
> characters). If Jakarta will be sharing the Jira instance with other ASF
> projects then using a J prefix for Jakarta project should be used, like
> this:
> - JLANG
> - JDIGESTER
> - JCOLLECTIONS
> - JHTTPCORE

It does seem to be that there's more interest in the full name than
the shorter one.

In terms of the J***, we should we be asking infra@ what they want to do.

I don't think we should be embracing the J*** bit out of future-worry
if they're not concerned. I can agree that a more readable code makes
for more readable email subjects (the name is in the body of the jira
email not the subject, so hard to filter on that); but the prefixing
with J issue then makes it unreadable and doesn't seem necessary.

> If we can have our own Jira instance for Jakarta then the prefix can
> easily be dropped. I'm not subscribes to infra@ so I don't follow the
> discussions there.

Talked to Jeff about this. It won't be its own instance. Aim is to
keep things in the one instance. The current extra instances are
temporary until they can be sucked into the main one.

In terms of ids, obviously one for each project. Do we also want one
for Commons in general for build and site issues? And I presume we'd
have a sandbox project.

Hen