commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Clover version
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:01:23 GMT
> But surely LGPL code cannot be distributed by the ASF, which means it
> cannot be stored in SVN?

If you check out Cliff's draft on 3rd party libraries:
http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html, you'll notice that LGPL
usage is about policy nowadays and not legal issues. Now it comes down
to there being reciprocal things in the LGPL license that we don't
think our users are expecting to be getting.

Additionally, when I asked Cliff about this at ApacheCon, he wasn't
much of a believer that being in SVN was distribution. We're not
telling people to goto our SVN, take what's in there and redistribute
it.

(more below...)

> On 25/04/06, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> > Cobertura (at least in the Maven plugins), is executed via a fork, so
> > the licensing is not an issue.

S'all about the distribution, which is Maven's concern. I can't think
of any reason why Commons would not be able to use Cobertura, or
include Cobertura output.

Hen