commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [cli] [patch] build bug
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:17:45 GMT
On 4/19/06, Andrew Shirley <aks@decisionsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:36:49AM +1000, James.Ring@ga.gov.au wrote:
> > Hi Henri,
> >
> > > What do you think? Is the cli2 package clearly superior to the cli[1]
> > > package?
>
> I think so. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to cli[1], cli2 is better
> designed and the avalon code appears to be simpler (I havn't actually
> used it).
>
> > > Should we dump the old one, test the issues reported against
> > > cli[1] that are now fixed in cli2 and move on; or should we dump the
> > > cli2 package and stick with the cli one?
> >
> > This is a tricky question, because people already use the current CLI
> > API. The CLI2 API is quite different, so people would have to migrate
> > their code to the new API, and I can imagine that a lot of people would
> > be loathe to do that.
> >
> > I think we should investigate the possibility of having CLI as a fa├žade
> > to the (superior) CLI2 package. This could ease migration problems, as
> > well as solve the outstanding parsing issues.
> >
> > My vote is to move towards CLI2, but do it in such a way that we can
> > avoid disturbing users of CLI as much as possible.
> >

> My gut instinct is that it shouldn't be too difficult to effectively
> reimplement cli1 using cli2 as I havn't encountered anything that can be
> done in cli but not cli2.
>
> Generally, I think we should be moving away from cli1 whether that is by
> simply deprecating it or reimplementing it as a facade

Seems to be pretty overwhelmingly in favour of cli2 - good to hear
that people are using it and are happy.

Another option is to split the two packages up and keep cli1 on a
branch. Then we can do a cli1.1 release, but for a lot of the bugs
we'll just be saying "Sorry, move to cli2".

Another question - why keep the Avalon logger? (Presuming we were to
release cli 2.0 and an easier cli 1.1). What's its raison d'etre?

Hen