commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Shirley <...@decisionsoft.co.uk>
Subject Re: [cli] [patch] build bug
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:17:25 GMT
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:36:49AM +1000, James.Ring@ga.gov.au wrote:
> Hi Henri,
>
> > What do you think? Is the cli2 package clearly superior to the cli[1]
> > package?

I think so. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to cli[1], cli2 is better
designed and the avalon code appears to be simpler (I havn't actually
used it).

> > Should we dump the old one, test the issues reported against
> > cli[1] that are now fixed in cli2 and move on; or should we dump the
> > cli2 package and stick with the cli one?
>
> This is a tricky question, because people already use the current CLI
> API. The CLI2 API is quite different, so people would have to migrate
> their code to the new API, and I can imagine that a lot of people would
> be loathe to do that.
>
> I think we should investigate the possibility of having CLI as a fa├žade
> to the (superior) CLI2 package. This could ease migration problems, as
> well as solve the outstanding parsing issues.
>
> My vote is to move towards CLI2, but do it in such a way that we can
> avoid disturbing users of CLI as much as possible.

My gut instinct is that it shouldn't be too difficult to effectively
reimplement cli1 using cli2 as I havn't encountered anything that can be
done in cli but not cli2.

Generally, I think we should be moving away from cli1 whether that is by
simply deprecating it or reimplementing it as a facade

Andrew Shirley