commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Gary Gregory" <ggreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [lang] VariableFormatter issues
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:20:53 GMT

This is interesting and slippery. Since the submitted code uses
"MessageFormat.format", we are not inventing a language, just accessing
a JRE feature.

OTOH, the class VariableFormatter is named as such *because* it is not a
"Format" subclass and was not intended to be. So providing "Format"
features via a subclass to VariableFormatter is clean in the sense that
we are not mixing things up but not really what I had in mind (that's
the great part about OS). OTOH (the OOH), if we really think this is a
fantastic feature, we should consider if it should be better integrated
than with a subclass.

I like VariableFormatter the way it is. So I am neutral as to using the
submitted code. If we do use "VariableFormatterWithFormating", could we
consider better class name?

> 2) Any idea what the status of the 35588 issue is? Looks like it was
> all done with just some minor OT Clover stuff. Any reason to keep this
> open?

I was trying to get 100% code coverage with Clover. I think you can
close this one. In my perfect world, any new features and patches would
get 100% code coverage.

Gary