commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Jira?
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:38:36 GMT

> Hi!
> > I know Jelly are on Jira already, and Struts have just moved over to
> > Jira. Wondering what the view is nowadays on Commons moving to Jira?
> >
> I am -1 on moving to jira.
>
> I dont understand why we - the open source developers and our users -
> should help testing a commercial application.
> And given that even for a mid-size company the minimum required license
> is the "professional" one - and its update policy - it is a rather
> expensive thing.

Expensive? It's one of the least expensive enterprise-grade applications
I've ever seen! At $4,800 for an enterprise license and a $2,400 annual
upgrade, it's a steal. The serious competitors run into tens of thousands of
dollars for an enterprise license. Also, JIRA is free for all non-profit and
charitable organisations, and for open source.

Also I dont understand whats the great benefit for us - compared to
> bugzilla - that we act as a marketing plattform for jira.

We're no more a marketing platform for it than any of the other open source
organisations that use it. As others have pointed out, many projects - and I
do mean *many* projects - at the ASF already use it. See:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

One other point: JIRA is a glowing example of what open source can do. It is
built upon a ton of other open source projects, some of which were even
founded by the JIRA authors themselves.

As for features, I think the dashboard is very valuable, as is the project
summary, and the ability to use it for planning and roadmap tracking in a
*much* more usable manner than Bugzilla.

--
Martin Cooper

Sorry if I completely missed the point. Do not hesitate to correct me.