commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [logging] diagnostics, RC failure in webapp
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:26:16 GMT
On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 08:17 +0200, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:14 PM:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 20:48 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> Conclusions:
> >>
> >> There isn't really anything wrong with the current RC8 code, except
> >> for the diagnostic message "Foo unusable; did you mean Foo?", and
> >> the docs.
> >>
> >> (Well, there was one bug I spotted by coincidence, where priority
> >> field in first commons-logging.properties file was ignored; that's
> >> been fixed).
> >>
> >> I'll update JCL docs to say that tomcat's
> >> ${tomcat.home}/bin/commons-logging-api.jar must never be replaced
> >> with a "full" jarfile.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > probably needs to go in the release notes too
>
> Well, I have the funny situation the other way round! Due to some plugins in Eclipse's
DTP subproject, Eclipse can no longer launch the internal help, that is based on a Tomcat
4.x, because Log is no longer compatible with Log. I can only get the help running if I use
a complete cl-1.0.4.jar as replacement for the -api version ...

> [snip]

Is this tomcat 4.0.x or 4.1.x?

I believe that tomcat 4.1.x effectively prevents overrides of JCL
classes, ie that it's not possible to get duplicate Log classes.

So I'm guessing this is tomcat 4.0.x you're dealing with. And yes, that
will have problems with duplicate Log classes. In that case I believe
the solution is really to deploy a commons-logging-adapters.jar in the
webapp (ie a jar with ONLY adapter classes, no Log/LogFactoryImpl).
Unfortunately there is no such jarfile in prior JCL releases; only
JCL1.1 has such a jar. As you say, the alternative is to put a complete
jarfile in tomcat (and delete the one from the webapp I presume).

Cheers,

Simon