commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] redux: include jdk logger in API jar?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:42:49 GMT
On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 17:19 +1000, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> > The documentation for 1.1 makes it clear that the -api.jar has no real
> > purpose, and should generally be avoided. Hopefully we can encourage the
> > next tomcat release to include the full JCL 1.1 jar.
> >
> > The price paid is just mild offense to purists, who *are* correct that
> > this class doesn't really belong in a jar labelled "api".
> >
> > Right now, I'm rather tired of JCL (and I'm sure Robert feels worse).
> > Anything that gets this out the door without any more debate and testing
> > is good!
>
> So many RCs ....I can feel your pain, guys
> (thanks for pushing it through anyway)
>
> As for the inclusion:
> as long as we clearly state that the use from the API jar is deprecated
> and it will be gone (from the API jar) in the next release it should be ok.

luckily i managed to add a comment for RC8 before cutting it. take a
look at the language and feel free to dive if it isn't strong enough. i
hope to put RC8 to the vote this week but i see no reason not to improve
the documentation.

> ...at some stage we should just fix this.

+1

one problem is that it's a transitional time over at tomcat: active
development is moving over to tomcat 6. tomcat 6 should ship a
statically bound custom JCL implementation created by costin. but will
probably be a tomcat 5 release or two before this happens.

- robert