commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <>
Subject Re: [math] Prime Numbers Library.
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:51:49 GMT

"Phil Steitz" <> wrote in message
On 3/11/06, Paul Libbrecht <> wrote:
>> I would fear of a library providing such functionality be enormous...
>> any modularity in commons-math planned ?
>Good question, which comes up over and over again in [math].  That's
>why I suggested that we focus on primality testing, which is something
>with practical applications and that could define a more narrow scope.
> I don't see any harm in experimenting a little in this area.  Could
>be I am wrong though and this will lead us off into a large amount of
>code.  I am not a number theorist and have only passing familiarity
>with the algorithms for primality testing.  WDYT?

Actually, I am a number theorist (by training, not my day-job :).  I'm
interested enough that I could review submissions in this area.  Of course,
I have karma to commit them as well, but I don't like to step on toes for
projects that I haven't really been active in ;-).

>When you say "modularity" do you mean splitting up the jar artifacts
>produced?  I thnk we have talked about that before and could be it
>will make sense eventually to do this.  Do you think the 1.1 jar is
>too big?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message