commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Suggestion for all of Commons
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:08:43 GMT
> On Wed, March 29, 2006 1:42 pm, Martin Cooper said:
> > You did. See:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/dependencies.html
> >
> > This is the standard location for the dependency list for all Commons
> > components.
>
> Yep, was pointed out to me.  As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd
> personally like to see that not buried beneath a "branch" like it is... I
> for one didn't know that was the standard location for Commons, I can't
> imagine I'm the only one that didn't know that.
<snip/>

OK, I will put the link in a more obvious place for one of the sandbox
components [scxml]. If others like it, it might become a popular
trend.

> > Aside from the fact that Class.forName is generally not a good idea in a
> > J2EE environment
>
> I hadn't heard that.  Why is that?

<snip/>

 * Many more classloaders in J2EE environments
 * Atleast need to use the three argument version using the TCCL, even
that isn't a given

> > , I personally have a strong dislike for static
> > initialisers, so I'm not inclined to do something like this for components
> > work on.
>
> Fair enough, I just wanted to make the suggestion.  I'm interested though,
> why don't you like static initializers?  Just curious ;)

<snap/>

 * Libraries may be in shared environments where some initializations
may not work well
 * Users have numerous classloader delegation models, loading classes
via static code can get tricky

-Rahul