commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Author tags [was Line width and such minutiae]
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:20:36 GMT
On 3/28/06, Sandy McArthur <sandymac@apache.org> wrote:
> On 3/28/06, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> > AFAIR we haven't ever voted on this, as removing existing author tags is
> > always been a touchy subject when brought up. At present, its a
> > component-level choice.

<snap/>

And this will keep coming back and eating into our cycles. IMO,
[codec] took the right step. So, we're content with leaving this open
i.e. we are resigned to this fate since the belief is that no
consensus is ever possible?

> > I believe that it is general practice in commons to refer to the author
> > in commit comments, and to use the maven team list facility, but I could
> > be wrong.

<snip/>

If its not, it should be the general practice -- or someone should
post objections.

> > Certainly [collections] still has author tags, although I had recently
> > considered proposing their removal as I now find them a hassle.

<snap/>

"Join the club".

> > Sandy McArthur wrote:
<snip/>

> I think the best "policy" is to stay true to yourself and be tolerant
> of people with different policies. In my mind that will work today,
> tomorrow, and up until the earth is swallowed by the sun.

<snap/>

I believe thats the crux -- freedom, personal conviction and tolerance
are *not* mutually exclusive in any combinations thereof.

-Rahul