commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jexl] Short and Long Term Plans
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:49:24 GMT
On 3/19/06, Dion Gillard <dion.gillard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a short note on jexl and where my thoughts are about a road map, i.e.
> to open up any discussion.
>
> We've got a lot of work done under the 1.0.1 banner, which realistically is
> more like a 1.1 release, in that it's not a simple bug fix version.

<snip/>

+1, in fact I'm quite sure this needs to be a 1.1 so I went ahead and
sketched a quick release plan here:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/JEXL/1.1ReleasePlan

> The plan to get 1.0.1/1.1 ready is to implement the rest of the remaining
> missing grammar items (foreach statement and bitwise operators), and
> introduce a Jexl Script/ScriptFactory for loading and executing scripts.

<snap/>

Yup, thanks for much of the work on this. I had earlier expressed
interest in the Jexl Script, I have interesting downstream uses for it
in SCXML.

> Once 1.0.1/1.1 is done, I'd like to revisit the current implementation of
> Jexl, and use the visitor pattern, that javacc generates for us, to
> implement the features of Jexl, instead of altering the grammar generated
> classes. That would be Jexl 2.x.
>
> Using vistors instead of altering the grammar code, should allow us to more
> easily extend Jexl, changing variable lookup and resolution etc.
>
> The main thrust is to separate the Expression/Script execution from the
> grammar.
>
> Thoughts/ideas?

<snip/>

For longer term, I also have this [1] in mind to eliminate a
sub-optimal usage pattern that is currently used with JexlContext's to
support the scoping rules that play into variable definitions within
an SCXML document. I suspect these usecases are quite generic, and
will be useful outside SCXML as well.

-Rahul

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=113684230613262&w=2