commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject [sandbox][all] New sandbox projects (was Re: Commons Metadata?)
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:56:06 GMT
I think in one of these recent threads, there was talk about coming up
with a document that we can point to whenever a new sandbox project is
formed / proposed, so Simon doesn't have to type his email each time
;-) (see bottom of this email).

A document that aims to strike a balance between:

 * The sandbox is truly open to any Apache committer, and there is no
need to ask for permission (other than posting a formal [PROPOSAL]
email whose outline exists on the website). Who is to say whether or
not it will "take off". We need to be welcoming.

 * The mechanics of sandbox graduation and releasing, requiring
support from enough Jakarta PMC members and so on. Based on recent
history, we need to be cautious, and maybe point this out at the
onset.

Ofcourse, this may change if and when the Jakarta sandbox is formed,
interim should be post such a "things to consider" document? On the
wiki, on the website?

-Rahul