commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Dion Gillard" <dion.gill...@gmail.com>
Subject [jexl] Short and Long Term Plans
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 02:37:27 GMT
Just a short note on jexl and where my thoughts are about a road map, i.e.
to open up any discussion.

We've got a lot of work done under the 1.0.1 banner, which realistically is
more like a 1.1 release, in that it's not a simple bug fix version.

The plan to get 1.0.1/1.1 ready is to implement the rest of the remaining
missing grammar items (foreach statement and bitwise operators), and
introduce a Jexl Script/ScriptFactory for loading and executing scripts.

Once 1.0.1/1.1 is done, I'd like to revisit the current implementation of
Jexl, and use the visitor pattern, that javacc generates for us, to
implement the features of Jexl, instead of altering the grammar generated
classes. That would be Jexl 2.x.

Using vistors instead of altering the grammar code, should allow us to more
easily extend Jexl, changing variable lookup and resolution etc.

The main thrust is to separate the Expression/Script execution from the
grammar.

Thoughts/ideas?

Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light. Not because Chuck Norris is afraid
of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris