commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Heuer <heue...@acm.org>
Subject Re: [all] Suggestion for all of Commons
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:28:47 GMT
Sandy McArthur wrote:

> On 3/29/06, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Or maybe we should simply advertise the dependencies pages better?
>
> Dependencies should be listed on the download page. The mind set of
> someone wanting to to use a component is and I know this from having
> done it a dozen or so times:
>
> 1. Find the component's site.
> 2. Find the download link on the site.
> 3. See want they want to download (src/bin, tar/zip)
> 4. Unpack
> 5. Find the jar and add it to their project.
>
> Step #3 is where we have the most cranial activity available to us and
> we should take advantage of that. Any other step and the end user is
> just going through the motions trying to get their work done with as
> little effort as possible.

With the advent of maven (and the maven ant tasks to a lesser extent) and
its central repository, I have found I almost never need to go through
that exercise any more.

A bit of doc something like...

To include commons-xxx as dependency for your maven 2.x project (and
transitively, commons-xxx's dependencies) use the following in your
<code>pom.xml</code>:

<source>
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
  <artifactId>commons-xxx</artifactId>
  <version>1.0</version>
  <scope>compile</scope>
</dependency>
</source>

To include commons-xxx as a dependency for your maven 1.x project use the
following in your <code>project.xml</code>:

<source>
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
  <artifactId>commons-xxx</artifactId>
  <version>1.0</version>
</dependency>
<!-- dependencies for commons-xxx -->
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
  <artifactId>commons-xxx-dependency0</artifactId>
  <version>2.5</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
  <artifactId>commons-xxx-dependency1</artifactId>
  <version>3.0</version>
</dependency>
</source>

(and a similar example using the maven ant tasks)

...would be quite useful to have on a download page, and could probably
be generated via the maven 1.x or 2.x dependency plugin.

   michael