commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: java.util.Service
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:29:53 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote on Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:37 PM:

> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 09:04 -0800, Craig McClanahan wrote:
>> On 3/9/06, Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> do we have something like the java.util.Service class introduced
>>> with JDK
>>> 1.6 withing Jakarta? This is basically a proper API to access the
>>> Service Provider mechanism described here:
>>>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Service
> %20Provider
>>

>> The closest analog is probably the "Commons Discovery" package, which
>> utilizes a variety of strategies to do service discovery (including,
>> IIRC, the META-INF service lookup trick).
>
> As it happens, I've just implemented Service functionality as
> part of a
> JCL 2.x experimental prototype (including unit tests). You're welcome
> to the code..
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/logging
> /contrib/simon/jcl2/core/java/org/apache/commons/logging/Utils.java
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/logging
> /contrib/simon/jcl2/core/
>
> Regretfully I don't have a lot of confidence in the commons-discovery
> code. There are *so* many weird classpath-related situations that can
> occur inside containers that any code of more than trivial complexity
> is almost certain to be wrong in some circumstances. If you want
> Service support, I would recommend *just* implementing Service
> support rather than using commons-discovery.

Well, I've found now that discovery also implements this service:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/discovery/commons-discovery-0.2/docs/api/org/apache/commons/discovery/tools/Service.html

I wonder anyway, why we don't try to consolidate discovery, if it makes all this trouble (wondering
why we have a 0.2 released project in proper) ...

- Jörg