commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [configuration] Alternative ConfigurationFactory
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 07:57:24 GMT
Hi Oliver,

Oliver Heger wrote on Thursday, March 02, 2006 4:14 PM:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:

[snip]

>> Did you think about an interface for this? Does it make
> sense to have different implementations of such
> builders/factories? Initialize from JNDI or DB  (... or
> implement inclusion of other configurations as part of the
> Configuration core interface)?
>>
> I have no concrete use case for multiple implementations of such an
> interface ATM, but this does not mean that it won't make sense. It is
> certainly possible that somebody might need to create a configuration
> from other sources or use a completly different form of the definition
> file. So I am +1 for an interface.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "implement inclusion of other
> configurations as part of the Configuration core interface". Should
> every Configuration implementation support the inclusion of
> other sources?

Well, if we go down the road of multiple implementations for a ConfigurationBuilder (XML,
Properties, DB, JNDI, ...) I have slightly a deja vu :)

So what about enhancing Configuration for an inclusion mechanism? Several impls already have
this (XML, Properties), but not in a generic way and not with the possibility to include parts
of the configuration from other sources. I am just thinking out loud here, I am not aware
of all the possible implications of this idea (and if it is really necessary).

- Jörg