commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [all] m2 groupId Was: [daemon] Deploying maven 2 pom for release 1.0.1
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 07:23:35 GMT
Now answering on the new thread with less spelling errors :)

Henri Yandell wrote on Friday, March 03, 2006 6:40 AM:

> Re-subjecting this - bit hidden under the old subject.

>> On 2/27/06, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> If we start to add m2 poms to SVN I do think we should use the
>>> Maven 2 way to declare groupId, like this:
>>>
>>>    <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>>>    <artifactId>commons-daemon</artifactId>
>>
>> I think it should be:   org.apache.jakarta.commons
>>
>> It's not the package (afaik), just a grouping, so let's get it right
>> at the ASF this time.
>
> Suggesting on repository@ that we lock things down so that PMCs have
> group space into which only they can write etc etc - either through
> SVN or unix groups.

It is the recommended way to chose the package name as group id. If Jakartea wouldn't have
an own mirror into the repo at ibiblio, your upload would been refused by the Maven team.
And IMHO it is a good practice, because the user must not guess about an arbitrary chosen
groupId by the developers of a package.

- Jörg