commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [daemon] Deploying maven 2 pom for release 1.0.1
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 07:16:46 GMT
Hi Henri,

Henri Yandell wrote on Friday, March 03, 2006 5:33 AM:

> On 2/27/06, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> The directory project depends on commons-daemon 1.0.1 and we had to
>>> update the maven2 repo with a temporary pom.xml to allow our recent
>>> release to go through.  I wanted to contact this list and make sure
>>> the deployed pom is correct.  It is located here:
>>>

> http://test.maven.codehaus.org/maven2/commons-daemon/commons-d
> aemon/1.0.1/
>>>
>>> Also I'd like to make sure we can get m2 deployments working for
>>> commons daemon from now on.  I'm a committer but I wanted to ask if
>>> it's ok to add a m2 pom alongside the m1 project.xml so we can
>>> update the m2 repository.
>>
>> If we start to add m2 poms to SVN I do think we should use the Maven
>> 2 way to declare groupId, like this:
>>
>>    <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>>    <artifactId>commons-daemon</artifactId>
>
> I think it should be:   org.apache.jakarta.commons
>
> It's not the package, just a grouping, so let's get it right at the
> ASF this time.
>
> [I'm suggesting stuff on repostitory@apache that would force us to do
> this btw :), we wouldn't have write permissions to org.apache.commons]

It is the recommended way to chose the package name as group id. If Jakartea wouldn't have
an own mirror into the repo at ibiblio, your upload would been refiesed by the Maven team.
And IMHO it is a good practice, because the user must not guess about an arbitrary chosen
groupId by the developers of a package.

- Jörg