commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Suggestion for all of Commons
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:43:51 GMT
> On 3/29/06, Sandy McArthur <sandymac@apache.org> wrote:

> > > I've come to believe that dependencies should be included in the
> > > distribution. Also that we shouldn't bother with binary and source
> > > distributions anymore; be like tapestry/hivemind (I think they're the
> > > ones) and have just the one dist file.
> >
> > I'm almost cool with that. I'd be happy with a full download
> > (binary.jar, sources, docs, etc) and just the raw binary.jar
> >
> > 85% of the time downloading the binary distrobution is just an extra
> > step to get to what I want: the binary.jar
>
> Yeah, +1.
>
> I tend to go to ibiblio to get downloads half the time now; sad :)
> Definitely valuable to be able to download just the jar, especially
> for Commons things.

If you don't like ibiblio, you can of course always use
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/

Bundling dependencies is a last century waste of bandwidth, IMHO.  I
agree though that making it clear what they are is important.  Might
we worth a maven ticket to get them moved up in the default nav .  I
vaguely remember this being discussed before either here or on
maven-user.

Phil