commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Line width and such minutiae
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:02:58 GMT
On 3/29/06, Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 4:27 AM:

So linelength gets somewhat pointless :)

> >> Perhaps agreement among some subset of us - the components I've
> >> worked on use 80 characters. ;-)
> >>

> > The number 80 has numerological properties that imbue the code with a
> > special quality that obviously only you and I appreciate, Martin.
> >
> > Mailers wrapping commit diffs is a sign that we have offended the Gods
> > when we code "beyond the end of the card" ;-)
>
> STOP. We must limit the line length to 76. Any longer line will be wrapped by my mailer.
>
> :D

I'd like to formally apologize for any of the times I've been more
than the 4th person to respond in a thread. Oops I'm doing it now. :-)

A little more seriously though, the svn-to-email script really could
use some modernization. We live in an age of mime email and each part
of commit message really should be it's own mime part of type
text/x-patch or something. (I don't see an existing patch mime-type:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/ ) Part of the problem
something that is more structured than text/plain is being labeled as
such. This could be a first step to mail clients with built in
colorized diff view.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine