commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Line width and such minutiae
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:04:26 GMT
On 3/28/06, Gary Gregory <ggregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> [...]

The tools aspect is a very big part of it. My first paying programming
job (at a small bank) required me to program in terminal window using
vi in ALL UPPERCASE in a case-insensitive language largely because my
boss didn't know how to do case insensitive searching. It was
terrible.

Times have changed, with Eclipse, IDEA, and NetBeans you no longer
have to edit text when you program, you edit code. It's a step higher
in the evolution in computer programming and for me it's what make me
not care about other people's styles.

Technology moves forward just like everything else. Otherwise we'd be
programming in assembler or cobol. I'm empathetic to people who are
still using older methods and I don't target the bleeding edge but at
some point you have to evolve or get left behind.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine