commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Author tags [was Line width and such minutiae]
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:36:27 GMT
On 3/28/06, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>  > If we have decided [to remove author tags], then I'm happy to
>  > script them all out
>  > (and into team list files etc). And we should probably make sure
>  > that we take care of disagreements now rather than later.
>
> Gary Gregory wrote:
>  > Based on the February 18, 2004, Apache Software Foundation Board
>  > of Directors Meeting Minutes, author tags are "discouraged".
>
> AFAIR we haven't ever voted on this, as removing existing author tags is
> always been a touchy subject when brought up. At present, its a
> component-level choice.
>
> I believe that it is general practice in commons to refer to the author
> in commit comments, and to use the maven team list facility, but I could
> be wrong.
>
> Certainly [collections] still has author tags, although I had recently
> considered proposing their removal as I now find them a hassle.
>
> Sandy McArthur wrote:
> >I have searched some and the arguments don't hold water with me.
> :-) Many things from lawyers and the board don't make sense ;-)
>
> >I'm proud of the code I've contributed and I think an @author tag is
> >proper recognition.
> I suppose that five years ago when I joined, I felt something similar.
> At that time author tags were allowed, so it wasn't a problem. Over
> time, that desire for such 'base' recognition has gone.

You're probably right eventually. When I'm married and have kids I
probably won't even remember this but until then I do care with
respect to my own contributions.

I think the best "policy" is to stay true to yourself and be tolerant
of people with different policies. In my mind that will work today,
tomorrow, and up until the earth is swallowed by the sun.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine