commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [pool] composite pool donation signed off
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:28:35 GMT
On 3/22/06, Gary Gregory <ggregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> It looks like some of this code depends on Java 1.4. Code like:
>
>    assert Thread.holdsLock(pool);
>
> Java 1.4 as a dependency is fine with me but is that really what [pool]
> should depend on?

It's been my  plan to take advantage of Java 1.4 features with the
release of the Pool 2 major release. It's not like Pool 1.x will
disappear from existence so 1.3 compatibility is still available. I'm
pretty sure the most common use of Pool is for database connection
pooling in J2EE containers and they depend on Java 1.4.

I also plan to eventually take advantage of Java 1.5 with Pool 3 by
using generics, java.util.concurrent features, and add JMX monitoring
support.

See: http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/PoolRoadMap#preview

Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine