commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [pool] Announcing Release Candidate 1 for Pool 1.3
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 04:55:37 GMT
On 3/21/06, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> 1) Its not obvious how to find the release notes for Pool 1.3 - can these be
> included on the navigation menu or somewhere (and a reference in README.txt)
> so that they're easier to find?
Added a link and short blurb in the Releases section of the index page
to the release notes for 1.3.

> 2) build.properties.sample is not being included in the source distro.
Fixed.

> 3) There was a thread about md5 checksums a while back - apparently some md5
> programs require an astix followed by the file name after the checksum:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg67770.html
> http://tinyurl.com/ntjch
I don't get how to express this in maven.
I was able to figure out how to make the .md5 extension be lowerclase
but I don't know how get it to generate the *filename.
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta/commons/proper/pool/branches/1_3_RELEASE_BRANCH/maven.xml?rev=387360&r1=385673&r2=387360&diff_format=h
Does anyone know the solution off the top of their head?

> 4) The links on the changelog and file activity report are invalid. This is
> a bug in the maven plugins, which may be resolved in a later version. One
> way to get round this is to change to url in the repository element of
> project.xml to point to the root subversion directory, rather than commons
> pool (and since your using a custom "cvs-usage" report it shouldn't matter):
>
> <repository>
>    <url>http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi</url>
> </repository>

Setting the url like you suggested fixes the changelog links but
doesn't help the file activity report. Actually both reports are wrong
because they don't go back far enough. I think this is related to the
cvs to svn conversion. How about just removing those two reports until
the next release?

> 5) I noticed a number of jars I didn't recognise being downloaded:
> msv-20050913.jar, isorelax-20050913.jar,  relaxngDatatype-20050913.jar and
> xsdlib-20050913.jar and just wondered what they were for? Since I can't see
> them referenced anywhere in pool I guess they must be for one of the
> plugins?
Those would be plugin deps auto pulled in by maven. Pool 1.3 doesn't
depend on anything beyond a stock 1.3 jvm.

> 6) Theres a checkstyle config file in pool, but it doesn't appear to be used
> (and isn't included in the source distro).
That may be because when you include the checkstyle report it lists
about 5,000 style errors. Using the checkstyle.xml from IO brings that
number down to 510, almost all of which are JavaDoc related. When I
was working on the Pool 1.3 branch I mostly focused on bug fixes and
didn't try to touch more than was needed. The trunk for pool 2 has
more extensive clean ups. I suggest the checkstyle be left out until
the 2.0 release.

> I ran the tests using maven with JDK 1.3.1_04  and JDK 1.4.2_05 on Windows
> XP and they passed OK. On W2K the tests passed with JDK 1.4, but failed for
> JDK 1.3 (TestGenericKeyedObjectPool failed on testEviction2). However my W2K
> m/c is a bit flakey so I would ignore this unless someone else verifies it.
This would be a result of the test expecting more determinist behavior
from the thread scheduler than the JVM guarantees. Odds are if you
re-run the tests they'll pass most of the time. I've made a good
effort to make the unit tests in the trunk all be deterministic while
I haven't put that effort into the 1.3 branch.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine