commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][all] Break dependency on commons-build
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:38:57 GMT
Seems to me we should use svn externals to link the files that would
be in commons-build so they appear as part of the checkout. This way
you don't have to get two things from svn to build a project's site
and we don't have the same files repeadted over and over.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.externals.html

On 3/11/06, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> At the moment, each project depends on commons-build:
> - maven.css - single commons css
> - commons-site.jsl - single commons style
> - menus.dtd - shared menu components
>
> As the recent IO release has shown, this dependency isn't great when
> releasing.
>

> I propose we remove the css dependency as follows:
>
> 1) Add the following one line project.css to each project:
> @import url("http://jakarta.apache.org/style/jakarta.css");
>
> 2) Upload jakarta.css to this location (I've created a suitable one)
> which contains our colours and designs (eg. blue headers)
>
> Each page in commons will then use the maven-base and maven-theme css
> files as per default maven. The jakarta.css file then overrides these as
> needed. Thus most users will see no change.
>
> If the user is running a copy of the website on their own box and they
> are offline, then the standard maven colours and design will be used
> (eg. grey and red headers).
>
> If we want to update all commons websites, we just update jakarta.css.
>

> I propose we remove the menus.dtd dependency by just removing it. Users
> will just have to click a couple more links to move between components.
> IMHO, the simplicity of the resulting design overrides the loss of
> functionality.
>
> Stephen

Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine