commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems...
Date Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:17:06 GMT
Instead of responding to many messages I'll summary my position below:

Site/Maven 2: I'm not a big fan of flocking to the bleeding edge.
Largely because I'd rather get work done, even if it's less sexy, than
deal with figuring out issues associated with the bleeding edge. From
the discussions it sounds like Maven 2 isn't ready for Jakarta
projects to move to it. In my mind I don't get the point of any
further effort on the issue until Maven 2 meets our needs.

Simple/Inactivity: I believe these are closely related. To me it seems
that Jakarta says "yes" to ideas and code more than it should. When I
browse the Commons' website or look though Commons' JavaDocs I feel
like I'm seeing way too much information, much of it irrelevant to
getting work done. If it was my choice I'd cut or hide most of the
"content" on the website that isn't geared to our end users:
programmers who want to use our code but don't care about the details
or want to get involved.

Commons mailing lists: I don't personally have a problem the volume
but I understand others might. I would split out the svn commits, wiki
updates, issue updates, gump updates to another list. After this
change I think commons-dev should still get emails for new issues and
when an issue is closed but not the updates in between.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine